Completed 1961 as RHOMBUS but contract transferred from Shell Tankers to Stevinson Hardy Tankers. Renamed EDWARD STEVINSON. 1963 ownership became Stevinson Hardy Tankers. In time-charter for STUK. 1981 scrapped Kaohsiung Taiwan.

Also known as
IMO number
Call sign
Construction number
47.907 ton
Length overall
Year of construction
Year of renaming/broken up
Service for Shell
1961 to 1981
Flag state
Home port



Name Job Period Details
Stuart Holtby 4th mate 1961 to 1964 apprentice then 4th mate
Harry Redman 4th engineer, 3rd engineer 1961 to 1963
Ralph Spours junior engineer, 4th engineer 1963 to 1964
Kevin O'rourke radio officer 1964
Paul Wilks engineer 1964 to 1966 junior engineer then 4th engineer, 3rd eng
Brian Mc Garry trainee radio officer 1964 to 1965
Jeremy Wilks junior engineer 1965 to 1966
William Bill Ba... 4th engineer 1967 to 1969
Ernest Cane passenger 1971 to 1974 captain's son
Lawrence West passenger 1975 2nd mate's son
Howard Snaith deck cadet 1979 to 1980
Mark Hunsley deck cadet 1980 to 1981


Date Visitor Anecdote
11/21/2015 - 00:19 Paul Wilks

We tied up in Geelong with a cargo of fuel oil. I had just been ptomoted to 2nd. eng. The chief told me he and the Capt. were going ashore that evening and the mate and I would be left in charge.All went well until about 20.00 agale sprang up from nowhere.at its peak it registered 100 m.p.h. I was sat in my room when I heard a clatter looked out of the window and could see the gangway was missing. It had dropped in the water and all that was holding the ship were the cargo lines.The wind had already overcome the tensioning winches. Seconds later the cargo pipes parted and they were wtithing like huge snakes spewing oil everywhere. I remember thinking somebody should do something about this, then I realised it was myself.I charged to engrm. and tripped the pumps. I the told the watchkeepers the problem and we readied the engines.After 4 hrs. tugs got us back alongside. I went on deck the mate was there.we looked down and could see the Capt. and the Chief urinating in the water. Full of beer and food they had been waiting 2 hrs. to come aboard. The chief lokked up and saw me. He was a Glaswegian, and shouted up I canna leave you alone for 5 f-----g minutes.The mate got the same it was his first time in charge also.Every port official was there threating to arrest us but nothing was done. We were not the only ship that suffered.It was eventually deemed to be an act of God.I am only thankful it was fuel oil, if it had been crude I would not be writing this.

11/06/2014 - 23:47 Paul Wilks

The chief eng.and myself 2nd. eng shared a Goanese steward Andrew.He was a few straws short of a bale,sometimes disappearing all day,but always reappearing in the evening.Nobody knew where he used to hide.In my frig. was a plastic bottle of water left behind by my predecessor.Every day I would tell him to throw it away but he would tell me I might needit one day.We left Port Dixon in Malaysia and on this morning he opened my frig.door took out the said bottle and said he would throw it away because I didnt use it.He was last seen that evening walking along the crews alleyway wearing a lifejacket.When he didnt report the next morning I made this fact known and the ship was searched to no avail.He had gone overboard in the M alacca straits oneof the busiest shipping lanes in the world.We all assumed he had drowned.On arrival Singapore a request came aboard for his gear to be packed and sent to Bombay.Amazingly he had been rescued by a Malayan fishing boat in pitch darkness in the Malacca straits.I dont know but I think he took the water bottle with him when he jumped.Obviously jumping ship had a different meaning to him.