Completed 1972 as "GADINIA" for STUK. Capacity 75.056 cubic metres of LNG. 1986 to Brunei Shell Tankers and renamed "BEBATIK". 2015 on charter to Brunei LNG on a year-by-year contract. Managed by STASCo. 4-2018 last cargo. 2018 scrapped Shanghai. 46 years old.

Also known as
IMO number
Call sign
Construction number
G 25
51.579 ton
Length overall
Year of construction
Year of renaming/broken up
Service for Shell
1972 to 2018
Flag state
Home port



Name Job Period Details
Roger Smith 4th engineer 1972 maiden voyage
Eric Freeman 3rd engineer 1972 Maiden voyage
Chris Spencer 2nd mate 1972 to 1973
Alan Knight 3rd mate, 2nd mate 1972 to 1973
Ken Dickson 5th engineer 1973 to 1974
Terry Smart 3rd engineer 1973 to 1974
Desmond Doyle master 1974
Alan Phillip Carter 5th engineer 1974
Chris Wallace 4th engineer 1974
Brian Blythe deck cadet 1975
Chris Wallace 3rd engineer 1975
Derek Jackson 2nd engineer 1975
Frank Melling 5th engineer 1975 to 1976
Michael Rand 5th engineer 1975
Nigel Budd deck cadet 1975
Shaun Heffernan 3rd engineer 1976
Chris Wallace 2nd engineer 1976
Michael J. Mcghee 3rd officer 1976 to 1977
Graham Walden 2nd engineer 1976 to 1977
Veronica Heffernan wife 1976
Mike Smith 4th engineer, 3rd engineer 1976 to 1978
Mike Hapgood 2 deck cadet 1977
Mark Smith deck cadet 1977 to 1978
D.s. Cook chief engineer 1977
Derek Wallace D... chief officer 1978 to 1979
Douglas M.C. Renton master 1978 to 1979
Paul Crouch engineer cadet 1978
Stephen Foster deck cadet 1979
Alasdair Maclean 3rd engineer 1979 to 1980
Chris Grimson 3rd mate 1979 to 1980
Phil Chenford 5th engineer 1979
Brian Boyle 3rd engineer 1979 to 1980
Thomas Ogle extra 3rd engineer 1979
Graham Gould 5th engineer 1980 to 1982
John Holmes 3rd officer 1980 to 1981
Brian Watters deck cadet 1980 to 1981
Geoff Donnelly 2nd mate 1980
Colin Mckay 3rd officer 1980
Andrew Reilly deck cadet 1981
Mike Bailey 3rd engineer 1981
Ashley Barnard 3rd engineer 1982 to 1983
Robert T. Dunbar 2nd officer 1982
Robin Macleod 2nd mate 1982 to 1983
Herbie Battye chief officer 1982
Joseph Moore 2nd engineer 1983
Stephen Mccraith deck cadet 1983
Robert Scott engineer cadet 1983
John Murphy 5th engineer, 4th engineer 1984 to 1986
Jack Beaumont master 1984 to 1985
Alan Watson chief officer 1985 to 1986
Eamon Mullin 2nd mate 1985 to 1986
Capt Dave Freeman 2nd officer 1985 to 1986
Gus Mcphail senior radio officer 1985
Verner Haidak radio officer 1985
David Else chief engineer 1986
Christopher Hawkes cadet 1986
Chris Clayton trainee radio officer 1986 Sailed with Gus McPhail as a trainee on my second trip.
Peter Graham chief officer 1986 to 1987 Name changed to Bebatik.
Irfon Rees chief officer 1986
Ian Falconer 2nd mate 1986
Chris Warriner radio/electronics officer 1986
Craig Douglas 4th engineer 1986
Stephen Mackin 2nd mate 1987
Alger Maranguit chef kok 2001 to 2002
Dave Freeman master 2007


Date Visitor Anecdote
05/15/2023 - 22:59 S.N

40 years ago this year my family and I were rescued by a ship, which was called the Gadinia in the South China seas in August 1983. We were taken to Brunei and after that to England, London where we now live.

My family and I are so grateful to the kindness of the angels who rescued us that day and would like to meet them and personally thank them for saving us.

I am on a mission to track down the crew of the ship at the time of the rescue.
If you are or know of the crew that worked on the ship that time, please do get in touch.
I was able to locate a newspaper article detailing the rescue with the name of Michael Bailey and his wife Elaine. Michael if you do read this forum, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you - S Nguyen

09/30/2019 - 09:29 Thuan Van

In July 1978 We were rescued by the Crew of the Gadinia when our boat engine broke down and we were drifting in the south China Sea for 43 days ! We had ran out of food and water. and had sick children aboard. If it wasn't for the Gadinia and crew I wouldn't be here today writing this. Grateful thanks to Gadinia and Crew. would love to get in contact with any crew members that wera on the same time as us.

03/07/2012 - 02:57 Alan Knight

In August 1972, I was appointed 3/O of "Gadinia", the first of the "G" Class, which was under construction at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in St. Nazaire, on the West coast of France. The Master was Capt. Simon Darroch, C/O John Leach, 2/Os John Voisey and Brian Davidson, C/E Don Worrall, R/O John Norton, Instrument Technician Nigel Chadderton, Bosun So Sau Kwai from Hong Kong. We lived in the Dauphin Hotel, and went to the shipyard by taxi. Our days were spent checking equipment, and familiarizing ourselves with the ship's systems, including the Marconi Predictor radar, which was an early attempt at ARPA, using magnetic tape recording (which was its Achilles Heel; it tended to jam at critical moments!). The stainless steel tank membrane was the subject of intense quality control, usually by Superintendent Dickie Lowe. Shortly before sea-trials, we moved on board. On sea-trials "Gadinia" managed an impressive 19.6 Knots.

On our return to St. Nazaire, the liquid nitrogen tank was to be filled by the shipyard. The ship's plans called for a water-filled overflow drum atop the Compressor House, but it had not been fitted by the shipyard, who insisted that a "gooseneck" was all that was needed. As the ship still belonged to the shipyard, Capt Darroch told us to stand back and watch from the bridge-wing. As the tank filled, the N2 vapour became heavier and heavier, and then liquid nitrogen at -183C began pouring from the gooseneck onto the Compressor House deck, which cracked like shattered glass! The shipyard workers leapt onto the rails so their feet didn't get cryogenically "burned". We watched from the bridge-wing, hooting with laughter! With a broad grin, Captain Darroch said "I told them that would happen". Shortly after, the shipyard fitted the over-flow tank as per the plans!
Prior to departure from St. Nazaire, (22nd October 1972) there was a dispute with the shipyard about the garbage and debris left in the cargo tanks, which were cluttered with cigarette butts, lunch boxes, and empty wine bottles. The shipyard skimped the cleaning of the tanks, but our objections were over-ruled by SIM, with the result that the LNG circulating pump in #1 Tank choked on cigarette butts on the way to Cape Town. We had to put into Cape Town, warm-up and inert #1, and replace the Circ pump.

After crossing the Indian Ocean, we nearly met with disaster in the Malacca Strait when the tanker "Losina" sheered out of the NW-bound lane, swerved across our bow, and passed down our Starboard side at 2 cables!!

The first loading at the new LNG plant at Lumut was interesting, and involved using the huge "hammerhead" crane from which the loading arms were suspended above the stern loading platform. The first loading was uneventful, until the time came to depart. When I went forward to re-set the Fisher valve, I realized that it was covered by a swarm of angry bumble-bees! I had to retreat and rig a fire hose to wash them off the valve before we were able to get under way to Sakai City. After transitting the Palawan Passage, we reached Japan, and "Gadinia" was escorted into Sakai City by fire-boats and Japan Coast Guard patrol boats.We delivered the first cargo several days ahead of the contracted schedule. It was a great team effort, and I am happy to have been a part of it. Alan Knight.