Completed 1929 as Hopemount for Hopemount Shipping. 1945 purchased by STUK and renamed "KELLETIA". 1955 sold to River Line and renamed Coral River, converted to dry-cargo. 5-9-1964 aground at Hong Kong in typhoon, refloated and broken-up in 1965.

Also known as
Coral River
IMO number
Call sign
Construction number
10.522 ton
Length overall
Year of construction
Year of renaming/broken up
Service for Shell
1945 to 1955
Flag state
Home port




Date Visitor Anecdote
08/13/2016 - 01:10 Robin Wilkins

Further to my earlier memory of sailing on Kelletia 1, I have come across the story of the ship under her previous name of Hopemount.She sailed in Convoy PQ14 to Murmansk from Reykjavik on 8 April 1942. The convoy was attacked by German bombers on 15th April and the 16th. Also the convoy came under German submarine attack. the Hopemount had two large guns. a HA/LA 4inch and a Japanese 4.7inch, made in 1914. She also had Lewis guns and Oerlikons. These were manned by DEMS Naval gunners and Royal Marines. The ships crew also had Hotchkiss machine guns.

The Hopemount on arrival in Russia, was used as fleet supply ship for other ships needing fuel for return trips to the UK.

In my day, under her Kelletia name, sailing in the warm waters of the Persian Gulf and Pacific Ocean the ship must have felt as though she was on holiday!

08/04/2013 - 05:10 Robin Wilkins

The Kelletia (1) was discarded in 1955 not 1954. I served as Deck Boy and JOS 1954/55 and with other crew was discharged in Singapore in 1955 and flown to the Uk by KLM in a DC3. It took four days with three overnight stops. The ship frequently broke down and stopped for repairs and leaked like a sieve. We were refused entry into Columbo harbour because of the oil leaking out of our tanks. The Kelletia was dry docked in Singapore for a few weeks whilst some of the holes in the hull were plugged, but not all of them. It was my first voyage and the old ship was a bit of a shock. Four men in a small cabin, a barely turning fan in the tropics and mainly bad food. Four and a half ounces of dry tea per man per week and weighed to the tea leaf! For a sixteen year old though, seeing many of the countries in the Far East with a little pocket money (10 pounds a month) it was interesting. Getting up for the 4 to 8 watch though was a bit tough. I retired as Administration Manager for an Oil Refining Company some years ago, so finished my working life associated with oil as it had began, many years earlier.