Completed 1943 as "NINELLA" for STUK. 3-1966 scrapped Kaohsiung after use as hulk.

IMO number
Call sign
Construction number
12.134 ton
Length overall
Year of construction
Year of renaming/broken up
Service for Shell
1943 to 1966
Flag state
Home port




Date Visitor Anecdote
12/12/2017 - 17:49 Kari Salmi

It was during 1950 that this ship had an accident in Helsinki Harbour. Even the Pilot in charge ordered the ships destination correctly,the ship had a collision against the pier. It was the ships engines that malfunctioned during the operation. I have the report from that time, my grandfather was the pilot in charge.

07/07/2015 - 02:18 Derek Andrews

I joined the Ninella at thames Haven straight out of the sea school in Gravesend..I was sixteen YO..And did not have a clue what I was letting myself into..
Not an experience I would like to repeat,but after joining the Ninella,We sailed off to Rotterdam then onto Le Harve then across to Curacao through the Panama to Yokosuka in Japan..
The Ninella had a nasty habit of breaking down in some awkward places the first was off Hawaii in a pretty rough storm for about twenty four hours..Fortunately I had got over sea sickness by then...,
We did a lot of ducking and diving round the far east to some strange places for several months and a lot of journeys up a river in the middle of Sumatra to the Dutch oil refinery. I see in the list of crew members that the second cook is shown ..I cannot remember his name after all these years but I wonder if he remembers the monkey I gave him when we arrived back in Liverpool that I bought in Sumatra?
Altogether after returning to the UK it was about ten and a half months. I stayed on the Ninella for a quick trip to the Carribean I Then returned to Liverpool and Payed Off..
After Taking my leave,I was flown out to Join the "Patella" in Curacao. We spent a month in dry dock in Willenstad then Went on the bitumen run up and down the east coast of the USA for approx 5-6 months.with an odd trip to Lake Maracaibo..
I hope this brings some memories to some old ship mates that may still be around.I now live in NZ with my family have been here for 40 years..

10/01/2012 - 23:34 Neil Porter

I was onboard from Singapore in 1965 to Nha Be, the tank farm outside Saigon, the year the US decided to fight, rather than advise. We were there as storage tanker while new storage tanks were being built. I was onboard as 3rd mate for 5 months with Captain Cush and his wife, amongst others. We befriended the local US advisers who used to invite us over for movies! and we played soccer on the terminal's pitch, sometimes the kids joined in numbering us 1-10 in order of favouritism, not position on the field. Some of us swam in the polluted river and suffered no ill effects. And when another ship took our berth our main activity was playing Ludo in the mate's cabin. (besides a little time on anchor watch!) All of that with 100% war bonus! Later the yanks made it into a base for their river navy and even later I read a book by a Viet Cong sappper who attacked the tank farm, well after I left.

06/10/2012 - 05:45 Trisha Sundin

My father, Geoffrey Cush, was the master who took Ninella to scrapping in 1966. I have the ship's bell.